Friday, November 18, 2005

Heads or Tails?

Isn’t ‘corporate speak’ a funny thing? I confess there are times it is altogether annoying, but for the most part if we can keep a sense of humor then it is mostly just funny.

When I was climbing the corporate ladder in my mid 30’s I was sometimes given the assignment of ‘writing’ things for the company. I feel confident I created my own healthy share of corporate speak in the process. I prefer to view it now as having contributed to the corporate humor baseline.

Yesterday I received an email from a large Dallas architectural firm. I hope they don’t read my blog.

The email was announcing the first meeting for a new project. This was referred to as a ‘kick-off’ meeting.

I am a consultant to the architect on the project and so I will be in attendance at mid field with the referees and other captains for the coin-toss. I guess that’s why they invited me, and sometimes I’m pretty lucky so maybe I’ll get to call heads or tails.

I read through the information they sent me and discovered the most important thing; the AGENDA!

Here it is:
1. Introduction of Team
2. Process and Schedule Overview
3. Variables that affect the Process
4. Vision Session
5. Required information
6. Open Discussion

I am anxiously awaiting the date for this meeting now. I had scheduled an eye exam for the week before, but it looks like I will be getting a free one at the ‘kick-off’ meeting during the ‘vision session’.

Now that is a full service architectural firm!

Now I Get It…….maybe

No comments: